Inmates are permitted to send and receive unlimited correspondence. The only exception is when there is reasonable cause to justify limitations for reasons of public safety or facility order, or to prevent violation of state or federal law. All incoming/outgoing mail is subject to search prior to being delivered.
Use the addresses below to send mail to the jail facility where the inmate is housed.
Central Men's Jail, Central Women's Jail, and IRC
Inmate Name and Booking Number (required information)
Orange County Sheriff's Department
550 N. Flower St.
Santa Ana, Ca. 92703
Inmate name and Booking Number (required information)
501 City Drive South
Orange, Ca. 92868
Acceptable Mail Items
Mail must meet the following guidelines:
- Mail must contain both the inmate’s name and booking number and the sender’s name and return address. The envelope may not contain any other unnecessary writing, artwork, or markings on it.
- New paperback books, magazines, or newspapers must be mailed or sent directly by the publisher, book store, or book distributor that does mail ordered business. Publications shall be shipped directly to the jail facility from the vendor. Torn pages or torn articles from publications are not allowed. Hardcover, vinyl, and leather-bound books are NOT allowed. Inmates may only possess a maximum of 5 books or magazines. The package must be accompanied by an invoice listing the purchaser, recipient, contents, and the name of the online store.
- Magazines, illustrations, or photographs showing female nipples, genitals, sexual activities, bondage, or degradation are not allowed. Personal photographs may not contain nudity, partial nudity or be sexually suggestive.
- Photographs depicting gangs, gang hand gestures, weapons, drugs, unlawful activities are not allowed. Any material tending to incite or promote racism, violence or any other prohibited conduct is prohibited.
- Oversized packages or boxes will not be accepted and will be returned to the sender unless previously approved by the Division Commander. (An oversized package is defined as any item larger than a 9"x12" legal size manila envelope.) Boxes will not be accepted unless they are from an approved secure source.
- Mail containing correspondence material (envelopes, paper, pencils, stamps, etc.) will not be accepted. All correspondence material must be purchased through jail commissary or ordered and shipped directly from the United States Postal Service online store, The Postal Store, at www.usps.com. Only stamps and envelopes are accepted from the USPS online store.
- Money orders must be made payable to the " County of Orange -Sheriff’s Department," with the inmate’s name and booking number annotated on the reference line of the money order. Personal checks, cashier’s checks, corporate checks, and payroll checks are not accepted. ($500.00 is the maximum amount inmates may have on their account at any time)
- There is a maximum of 10 items of correspondence allowed per envelope. Only mail written on postcards or white paper (plain or lined, not cardstock) is permitted.
Mail Containing The Following Items Will Not Be Accepted
- Items that cannot be inspected without being damaged (e.g. multilayered cards, Polaroids, laminated or glued items, etc.).
- Items containing foil or metal of any type, glass, wood, hard plastic, rubber, hair, leaves, flowers, paperclips, jewelry, staples, whiteout, colored paper, tracing paper, heavy art paper, glitter, confetti, stickers, tape, glue, paint, watercolors, tobacco products, or other prohibited substances, or any items written in crayon, chalk, or markers.
- Items that may compromise the security of the facility.
- Wall posters, travel brochures, catalogs, wall calendars, or any other item larger than a legal size piece of paper.
- Credit cards, personal checkbooks, original certificates (e.g., marriage, driver’s license, diplomas, etc.).
- Any food item.
- Any article of clothing, hygiene item or other personal property. (One pair of prescription or reading glasses may be mailed in. Eyeglasses must be in a non-decorative plastic frame. Eyeglass cases are NOT allowed. Two boxes of contacts are allowed. Inmates may obtain contact lens solution and contact lens cases from the jail dispensary.)
- Third party letters. (Correspondents may not forward letters from one person to another.)
- Any item that contains any unknown substance or unknown odor (e.g., stains, lipstick, perfume, smoke, etc.).
- Greeting cards, cardstock paper and colored paper, with the exception of postcards. Only mail written on postcards or white paper (plain or lined, not cardstock) is permitted.